Cucuhouse blog

Stories from cucurulla street in Barcelona district 01 and the continuation of the killed blog "Güten tag rhine"

Monday, September 18, 2006

Religious partying

Its been rainig really hard, again, for the last couple of days. My small pfizer umbrella was unable to do its job properly again this morning, and I arrived at the office kinda wet. Once again, it has been confirmed that my thin waterproof jacket is the money better spend by far this summer (together with the weekend trips). I was wondering how is the winter here. Maybe with snow is a different story, but the same rain with 20 degrees (celsious) less could be really........bad. The report of this weekend brings us to the photo above, which is the nornmal aspect of one church in Basel, near the fountains that you see, and near one of my favourites bars in the city (Campari bar) with a nice terrace full of trees where I have had many "reading beers" this summer. Those are the beers you drink while reading a book, which taste a bit different than the ones you drink with friends.
I was having dinner with some friends in an Indian restaurant and we were heading towards a bar when I called Marek, my friend in Dusseldorf, to see if we could see each other for the last time this summer. Marek tells me that he is in a party inside a "charge" (this with a loud surrounding noise that makes impossible for me to understand properly english with german-polish accent). In a "charge"? No idea. Maybe its the name of the party. Next call: I am already in the fountains. Where is the charge? I can't see any charge? Well, basically, please can you tell me where is the party? In the charge. Oh, fine! Then I follow the stream of people and end up in front of the charge. There is a queue to enter inside a church (Ahhhhhhh, the charge!)

I pay 25 francs while asking the woman in the entrance if there is any drink included, and she looks at me saying that the money is for a good cause to help some poor children. The drink included and the good cause are incomaptible I guess. Well, this is for a good cause so I pay the 25 francs quite excited to see what the hell (ups, sorry for the "out of context" expression) is inside the church with flashing lights going out from those big and beautiful windows.

And this is what we find inside the church. Or should I say inside the club? And do not think that the place is a kind of abandoned church. That was a saturday night, so after around 8 hours after we left the Sunday mass was going on in the same place. I was shocked.





Once inside, I ask for a gin & tonic. The waiter tells me that "this looks like a club but is a church, only priests drinks here". Fair enough, two beers please. He did not say that but I guess the explanation is that having hard alcoholic drinks in a church is a bit too much, even if the party is for a good cause.The music, standard rock&roll songs for a high-school party, with some songs from RHCP and other more modern groups, but nothing fancy. I guess is a bit too much for a church to bring a techno or house Dj.


Music for today: New Order - Blue Monday

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marc. It's a pity that you will (have to) stop writing these Switzerland-Topics. I really liked your texts about your experiences and surprises :-) come back soon but first enjoy your return to Barcelona of course. Have a save trip and see you, Cheers, René

7:36 PM  
Blogger Marcusrodri said...

Thanks man! I really enjoyed Zurich. Give you a call before leaving. Give my salutations to your future....Reneito!!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home